Bacup Borough Football Club
content top

Match Report: Bacup Borough v Cheadle Town

Bacup Borough 2 – Cheadle Town -3

Bacup suffer defeat from the jaws of victory deep into injury time.

Football can be such a cruel game has Bacup Borough found out by conceding two late goals within one minute of each other, conceding is one thing but one had to be there to witness just how cruel this game can be at times.

Bacup did not start the best in the early part of the first half, Cheadle certainly had the upper hand and really should have opened the scoring in the opening minutes when Bacup’s debutant centre back Tom Halligan attempted a back header to his keeper that Cheadle’s Nathan Tosham latched onto before chipping the advancing keeper, his effort agonisingly coming back off the bar into the keepers hands.

Cheadle once again found themselves in a great position to score which ironically came from a Bacup free kick some twenty yards out from the Cheadle goal, Wayne Morrison Bacup’s striker stepped up for the kick opting to strike the ball rather than try to pick out an advanced team mate, the ball was struck against an opponent rebounding back from which Cheadle broke in numbers and really should have capitalised but Bacup had keeper Aaron Ashley to thank for ensuring the score remained level.

Despite the indifferent start from the home side, Bacup themselves had an excellent opportunity when Bacup Borough’s lively striker Wayne Morrison latched onto a through ball but the Cheadle keeper was quickly off his line to prevent the danger, it was also Morrison again on the ball, this time breaking from the Bacup right before putting in a perfect ball for the advancing Adrian Bellamy who connected well with the ball but failed to direct his header goal bound, heading wide of the goal, Wayne Morrison when provided with the ball was beginning to be a real threat to Cheadle when once again breaking their rear guard before his effort agonisingly came back off the Cheadle cross bar.

This game was becoming extremely open with both sides seemingly having too much space to capitalise on each other’s deficiencies.

At this stage Manager Brent Peters was obviously not happy with how easy Cheadle were getting through having first sent on a paper instruction before inevitably making an early substitution with Nathan Emery taking to the field replacing another debutant Daniel Dew.

It was following this substitution that Cheadle did take the lead, Nathan Emery did not have time to get to grips with his opponent, before his opponent punished him, this took Cheadle to a slender one goal half time advantage.

Start of the second half The Bacup Manager made another substitution with Michael Gervin being replaced with Harvey Close, from the kick off at the start of the half, in contrast to the first half it was Bacup that started well and did carry onto be the team in the ascendancy throughout, this was helped when they got back on level terms from a quality taken corner from Anthony Hall which was met with a perfect header to make the score 1-1

This was the tonic Bacup needed has they controlled possession with the visitors dropping deeper and deeper, Bacup were forced into their last substitution when Trent Simm had to leave the pitch with a tight calf, Peters immediately replaced with striker Artjoms Butorins, it was Butorins that soon shot his side into the lead, what a goal this was, certainly a goal worthy of winning any football match, it was a stunning goal, Tom Coulson had done really well on the ball making space before releasing Butorins to whom must have been forty yards out centrally, he spotted the Cheadle keeper was well off his line and with this sent a stunning hit which had the keeper well beaten and with it sending his team into the lead going into the final quarter of this game.

Bacup were determined to keep hold of this lead, sometimes leading to over eager challenges, Captain Stuart Craig gave away a free kick at the edge of the penalty area, Cheadle’s German stepped up before laying off to a team mate which brought a stunning save from Aaron Ashley in preventing the equaliser, then for the second week running, Bacup were reduced to ten men when Nathan Emery made a rash challenge which really gave the official no option but to give him a straight red, from this free kick Bacup defended this situation well.

With the game now well into injury time, it looked like Bacup had earned themselves a well-deserved victory in a game that was a game of two half’s, Cheadle with nothing to lose, constantly put the ball onto the Bacup rear guard but despite being a man down, Bacup were handling everything well, this until a ball came in from the Bacup left, a Cheadle player back heeled the ball behind him which cruelly went in behind them leaving their defender the chance to fire the equaliser past the helpless Aaron Ashley to get themselves back on level terms, if this was cruel, the next move seconds later was a disaster and could be said fate was most certainly against Bacup, the ball was delivered high across the edge of their eighteen yard box, with plenty of Bacup players on hand to deal with this, Bacup’s keeper to whom had had an excellent game did make a bad decision to come for the ball, when he realised he was not going to make it, he changed his mind to back track to his goal line, on the heavy pitch he slipped, the Cheadle player had sent the ball goal bound, without doubt, no slip, that ball was safe, the keeper slipped and agonisingly the ball literally trickled over the goal line, much to the delight of the visitors, that basically had gone, to the agonising frustration of the home team, this was without doubt a cruel goal and cruel way to end a spectacle of a game for any neutral observer in the crowd.

Final score Bacup 2- Cheadle 3