Bacup Borough Football Club
content top

Match Report: Bacup Borough v Stockport Town

Bacup Borough -2- Stockport Town-1

Bacup Learn to win the hard way

On a day when once again the East Lancashire Weather had seen quite a lot of the North West Counties League games not going ahead, surprisingly Bacup was not one of those games so Bacup were back in action for the first time in seventeen days.

In the opening minutes the home side worked three excellent openings and really should have taken any one of these chances, in the first minute Bacup’s Reece Welsh forced the Stockport defender to play a ball back to his keeper which Alex Chu latched onto but his shot was weak proving an easy take for the Stockport Keeper, following this Bacup Borough’s Rio Wilson played a diagonal for Anthony Hall to whom put the ball into the danger area but no one was on hand to capitalise, with less than five minutes on the clock Bacup had created good openings, this time forcing a corner, a good ball in from Anthony Hall dropped at the feet of Connor Porter making his Bacup debut, Connor hurriedly got the ball out of his feet but failed to get any power into the shot which was an easy take for the Stockport keeper.

Up until this period Bacup had camped in the Stockport half with the visitors not being able to build anything, this until the sixth minute and their first attack from which they drove at the heart of the Bacup defence, defenders were backing off, the ball then got switched into the space on the outside of the Bacup Borough’s left back , Daryl Grant the Stockport full back made a late run, not being opposed he received the ball before slotting it underneath the advancing Bacup Goal Keeper Josh Harris.

Bacup now find themselves once again chasing a game but unlike in previous games this young Bacup side had the belief and work ethic to come back from this, first of all Bacup won a free kick, the ball was played to Anthony Hall to who shaped a good ball into the Stockport penalty area which was met by Captain Adrian Bellamy his shot was pushed away for a corner which was then defended.

With half time only minutes away Bacup still found themselves trailing by the odd goal but when the ball was crossed into Alex Chu who then headed the ball into the path of the advancing Anthony Hall, has he drove into the penalty area, Hall was taken out and a penalty awarded, up stepped the Bacup Borough Captain Adrian Bellamy to take amongst some gamesmanship from the opposition, only Bellamy knows if their gamesmanship got into his head has he stepped up and struck the ball direct into the Stockport Keeper, the ball dropped loose and Bellamy had every right to go for the follow up to whom injured their keeper in his attempt to force the ball over the line, it wasn’t to be, the keeper received treatment which following this did lead to the half time whistle going.

James ConstantineThe second half got underway when a quarter of the way into the half Bacup won themselves a corner, a late shout from the Bacup Manager of “who is on their keeper created a swift reaction from Jimmy Constantine, has the ball came in Adrian Bellamy’s goal bound effort was blocked but Jimmy Constantine was in the right place to force the ball over the line putting his side on level terms.

At the opposite end it was Stockport Town’s turn to force a corner with a quality delivery, has the ball drops to a Stockport player whose shot was goal bound but defender Reese Welsh cleared the ball off the line with keeper Harris beaten.

adrian-bellamyBoth teams in search of a winner Bacup taking the game to Stockport down their right flank won a free kick, once again a quality delivery behind the Stockport defensive wall from which Adrian Bellamy got in behind to connect with the ball sending it past the Stockport keeper.

This goal giving Bacup the lead was nothing short of what the home side deserved but first of all they had to see out the final fifteen minutes without conceding, something they did admirably despite the Stockport best efforts.