Slip in tough conditions costs Borough on the road

By Matthew Lawson

Despite the recent weather the referee declared the pitch at Adie Moran Park fit to play.

Manager Brent Peters had made numerous changes to his starting line-up for the away fixture at Prestwich following his sides Boxing Day defeat to Nelson at the Brian Boys West View Stadium. Benjamin Rhodes and Jordan Wilmore amongst the starters.

In the opening exchanges both sides kept hold of the ball well, Borough playing only their second game since the end of November looked good in and out of possession.

Bacup upped the tempo just after the 15 minute mark, Hall and Rhodes providing the width and With Bryan playing through the middle, the latter linking up well with Wilmore and Heywood in the midfield but the cross came to nothing.

The deadlock was broken midway through the first half when Ben Rhodes was played in by Matty Bryan, smashed home his first ever senior Bacup goal past the rooted Prestwich Goalkeeper, it was hit hard and low the keeper was well beaten.

After taking the lead Borough kept control of the game and played some quality flowing football on a tough surface, when called upon the defence was solid, Joe Carroll with crucial blocks, Brent’s men were defending well and went into the break leading by one goal to nil.

As the second half began, Borough made their first change, goal scorer Ben Rhodes who had suffered a calf strain, was replaced by Rico Stewart.

Both teams started the second half well, Prestwich were pushing for an equaliser and Bacup were striving for a second, at both ends the Goalkeepers denied the opposition making vital saves to keep the score line at 0-1

On the hour mark Prestwich got their equaliser, a corner from the right hand side was played short and helped on towards the back post were it was bundled home from 6 yards out.

Having lost the lead, Bacup were back on the attack a great run from deep by Bryan was then brought down 25 yards from goal, Bryan stepped up but saw his free kick beat the wall but go over the Prestwich cross bar.

With 20 minutes left to play a hopeful lofted pass over Bacup’s back line looked simple for Price to claim in the Borough goal but as he ran out to collect the loose ball he lost his footing on the rain soaked and heavy pitch, allowing the on rushing striker an easy tap in to make it 2-1

Prestwich added a third late on, an unstoppable right footed curler into the top right hand corner, Borough went on the attack straight from the restart, substitute Rico Steward with a delightful clip over the top for Matty Bryan who used his pace and strength to beat the defender but unfortunately his right footed shot went wide.

As hard as Bacup fought on an energy sapping pitch, the 2 games in 4 days after 6 weeks without a game was taking its toll on the players, another valiant effort from Brent’s men. Once again positives can be taken heading in to the Macron Cup tie away at Ashton Athletic on Tuesday night.