Bacup Borough Football Club
content top

Match Report: Silsden v Bacup Borough

Bacup Caught Blowing In The Wind
Silsden 2- Bacup Borough 1

In Horrendous farcical condition in the exposed Silsdens Keighley Road ground from which both sides had to deal with probably the worst windy conditions having witnessed, the wind was so strong that the team defending the club house side of the ground could not get the ball beyond their eighteen yard box. Irrespective of the result neither side could be judged on this game, it was a non event and no doubt the hardcore supporters and followers of football that decided to take in this Boxing Day fixture will have wished they had stayed at home.

It was Bacup that was kicking into the wind in the first half, given the fact that Silsden has much has they wanted to do could not get the ball out of their own half such was how bad the wind was, this resulted in a lot of time wasting, slowing the game down, typical gamesmanship, but who could blame the hosts? They just wanted to get through the half with minimum damage.

The Bacup players were all appealing for a penalty in the opening minutes with what the pictures have proved to have been a definite handball but the Referee failed to respond to this big decision which came from a Bacup corner, through out the half it was impossible for Silsden to build very little, again this was due to the conditions and not bad play, however with Bacup having the wind advantage, it was important they got has much has they could in the first half, knowing they would have the same problems in the second half.

Bacup did take the lead despite the fact there were eleven Silsden players behind the ball, Anthony Hall linked up well with new signing

Ryan puts Bacup in the lead

Ryan puts Bacup in the lead with debut goal

Ryan Humphries down the Bacup left, Humphries did show why Manager Brent Peters this week did make every effort to bring him once again back to the club, Humphries turned his marker before chipping the advancing Silsden keeper Callum Jacovlevs, firing his side into the lead, despite the fact Silsden were losing they were still quite happy to slow the game right down, take for ever retrieving any balls that had gone out of the ground, but given the conditions, who could blame them,, come half time it needed to be damage limitations, much to the frustration of the Bacup players, however despite all of this Bacup have only themselves to blame that they only had a slender one goal advantage coming to the break, first of all Tom Halligan missed a glories chance when he connected to the ball from a corner, if Halligan heads down he scores, but he headed over the Silsden bar, then another quality defence splitting ball which set Ryan Humphries up onto goal, this was a glorious opportunity but surprisingly he blazed his effort over the Silsden bar, this was as good has it got, half time came but would the one goal advantage prove enough to secure all of the points knowing they were now facing the same situation of having to defend for an entire forty five minutes.

The second half got underway, the wind was still has fierce has the first half and now it was Bacup’s turn to defend their slender lead, it was always going to be a big ask given the ferocity of the conditions, for long periods Bacup were forced back into defending several corners, Bacup did what Silsden did in attempting to wind the clock down, again this was Bacup’s turn to get through the half with damage limitation, however after again a succession of corners, the break through one became a corner too far, a good delivery was met with the head of the Silsden centre back to who headed down for their striker reacting sharper than Halligan the Bacup defender to get his side on level terms.

Bacup introduced New Signing Martin Broderick, a strong quality Midfield player, with almost his first piece of the action the Referee ruled Broderick had infringed on his opponent, a free kick was awarded wide of the Bacup eighteen yard box, the initial delivery was attacked by a Silsden attacker from which Bacup defender Stuart Craig could only partially clear, again the conditions playing a part,, the ball dropped at the edge of the box kindly to one of many Silsden players camped in and around the Bacup box to fire straight back into the Bacup goal giving the unsighted Bacup keeper Aaron Ashley no chance.

This was not the end for Bacup to whom did manage to get deep into the Silsden half, another positive run from Anthony Hall to whom showed clever footwork around the Silsden penalty area before finding his strike partner Ryan Humphries to whom headed into the path of James Constantine, with the Silsden keeper out of it, a certain goal and equaliser it seemed but disappointingly with a big part of goal to aim for his shot went the wrong side of the post.
Once again simple scoring opportunities have been scorned resulting in Bacup not getting something out of a game they certainly did not deserve to lose.

Pictures courtesy of

David S Brett Photography –