Bacup Borough Football Club
content top

Match Report: Steeton F.C – Bacup Borough

Steeton F.C 4- Bacup Borough -2

Bacup Borough made new friends and visited new territory when they travelled to West Yorkshire to meet Steeton FC in what was a late planned game after the hosts had been let down until Bacup Borough came to their rescue in agreeing this game.
Once again Manager Brent Peters did take a mixture of First Team Squad players coupled with trialist, Peters also utilised the minutes by implementing two sides with one team getting sixty minutes, the other team getting thirty minutes, the SteetonF.C playing surface was in immaculate condition, although extremely tight the surface was ideal for moving the ball around.

Bacup started well moving the ball about and even had a fair shout for a penalty when Jordan Rutter was flattened in the box, with the game only minutes old perhaps that was the reason why what really was a stone wall penalty was not given, has the game ebbed and flowed it was a set piece conceded by Bacup Borough’s Josh Walne that presented Steeton with their opening goal, with the initial kick being cleared their experienced striker Graham Holmes reacted first ahead of James Constantine, steering the ball into the only gap possible which found its way into the net.
Bacup Borough’s midfield were guilty of taking too many touches before eventually losing the ball, this in contrast to Steeton who got the ball forward early to Holmes who was giving the Bacup trialist at centre back a torrid time, in fact the Bacup centre back not small himself and stocky was physically bullied off the ball by Holmes allowing him to smash the ball into the net for his & Steeton’s second goal of the afternoon, Graham Holmes completed his hattrick, this time from another Free Kick given away at the edge of the box which produced another clinical goal..

Bacup did pull a goal back before half time when Alex Chu who had advanced into the Steeton penalty area, received the ball sideways onto goal before twisting and smashing the ball into the corner of the net.
This particular game ended with Bacup Borough being 3-1 down which must be a disappointment for the boys in this first team, given they were out to impress the Bacup Management Team.

The second game, with a different team and shape did have a lot more of a Bacup Borough look about it, the players on show started to show for the ball, taking limited touches by moving the ball quickly around the immaculate surface, with Wayne Morrison dropping in and bringing players into the game and Anthony Hall running in behind Bacup started to look a menacing threat so it was little wonder Bacup were awarded a penalty, their passing and movement was proving somewhat difficult to contain, the disappointing part of this was when Wayne Morrison stepped up to take the kick from which although the Steeton keeper was beaten his spot kick struck the inside of the post before being retrieved.

At the opposite end questions will be asked as to why a Bacup defender was yards behind the Bacup defensive line when pushing out thus playing the Steeton player onside and why the Bacup trialist Goal Keeper was aloud himself to be chipped by Michael Rhodes from inside his penalty area, this goal was produced by one long ball.

Despite this set back of going a goal behind Bacup still dominated possession which unlike in the first game Bacup started to force several saves from the Steeton Goal keeper so it was little surprise and no more than this side deserved when an excellent early cross into the box from Ben Rhodes playing wide left, this ball was met with precision timing from Wayne Morrison to put the ball past the Steeton keeper thus making this game which eventually ended 1-1 making the overhaul score line of 4-2 against.