Bacup Borough Football Club
content top

Match Report: Widnes v Bacup Borough

Widnes 2- Bacup Borough 0
Bacup returned to action following a fourteen day lay off to face inform Widnes whom on the back of their 5-0 mid week defeat of Oswestry Town had only lost one in their last 15 games in all competitions and ten games unbeaten in the league, given the contrast in both teams form, this was always going to be a tall order for Brent Peters young Bacup side.
The Bacup Manager welcomed back Harvey Close from injury, Nathan Emery from suspension, with this Rees Welsh was given his first start since his arrival from 1874 Northwich.

James Constantine

Constantine Close to scoring for Bacup.

It was Bacup that worked the first chance of the game, when Anthony Hall was brought down resulting in a Bacup free kick, some twenty five yards out from the Widnes goal, the resulting free kick found Captain Adrian Bellamy who held up the ball before laying it off which was defended for a corner, it was from this corner that the Windnes keeper did make a terrific save from a James Constantine effort which looked all but an opening goal for the visitors.
Chances were limited for either side during the first forty five minutes, Bacup Borough keeper Aaron Ashley was brought into the action when a shaped ball was put in on the Bacup keeper, under pressure from the Widnes players the Bacup stopper punched the ball but not clear of the danger area, but Bacup managed to clear any danger.

Despite an even start to the game, it was the home side that did take the lead but very much through the naivety of this young Bacup side, the ball was knocked long down the Bacup Borough’s right channel, the ball seemed to be running out of play when a shout for offside was called, all the Bacup players stopped, the Widnes striker to his credit did run from one side of the eighteen yard box to the other side in order to keep the ball alive, with a team mate arriving the pass was made before a terrific strike on goal, keeper Ashley could do nothing but push the ball away into the run of Lomax to whom smashed the ball into the net, this was a bitter blow to Bacup but created from not playing to the whistle.
This was the only goal to separate the sides at the half time break.

Seven minutes into the second half with Widnes attacking the slope they forced a corner, this time they opted to take a short corner, Bacup defenders were bright to react to this by quickly closing the ball but this also brought further bad luck has the shot from Lomax did take a wicked deflection, the deflection threw the Bacup keeper to whom was coming to attack the ball but did find himself back tracking to his line from this brother George Lomax with his back to goal beat keeper Aaron Ashley connected with the ball with a back header that was out of reach for the Bacup keeper.

With Widnes now having doubled their lead, the Bacup Manager Brent Peters relinquished a midfield player in order to get another front man to support Anthony Hall to whom had been working tirelessly, it was inevitable at this stage that the home side would get more opportunities on the counter attack as Bacup constantly went forward in search of a break through, this is when the Bacup keeper Aaron Ashley was brought more into the action, however it was from his own defender Harvey Close that he had to make a top drawer save has close sliced his clearance which was heading into the top corner of the Bacup goal.

Bacup did settle from the change and started to ask questions themselves, more so following a further substitution when the Bacup Manager did go three up top by bringing on Kevin Masirika shortly followed by young Benjamin Rhodes a graduate from the clubs under 18s team, the young Bacup players continued to work hard throughout, whilst their scoring opportunities were limited against a vastly experienced rear guard, they can all take heart from the fact that they made a good experienced Widnes side work hard all of the way for their victory.