F.A Cup Wasn’t To Be

BARB welcomed back club captain Daniel Cocks to the starting line-up as manager Brent Peters made 4 changes to the game against AFC Blackpool on Wednesday night.

BARB were up against league below side Formby in the legendary F.A. Cup with Budweiser. However they romped to the division one title last season but were denied the promotion due to their ground not being fit for the level of football that is required.

As it was the F.A. Cup there was much anticipation about the game because every team knows just what could happen. We all have that dream deep down of going to play at Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford therefore there is extra incentive to go on a run.

The tie got off to a fast start with the home team starting quicker and taking the game to their opponents. It was evident that they wanted to make the break through early, however after just 8 minutes it was the away side who struck first. Connor Belger doing the damage. 4 minutes later and all of a sudden it was 2-0 as a lovely back-heel allowed Connor Belger to find the bottom corner. BARB seemed to be unlocked way too easy and lost their way for a substantial period.

This certainly wasn’t the plan but credit to Formby who were emphatically clinical in front of goal. Something ourselves had been lacking.

BARB then started to try and find a way back in the game but in the final third they just didn’t have that killer pass or cutting edge.

Formby then racked up a fair amount of chances to put the cup tie to bed in these early stages but couldn’t quite find the net once more. They were even trying Beckham esc half-way line goals which if Gotham wasn’t alert to then looked as though it would have gone in.

I just feel that BARB possibly need a slice of luck to give them that boost but at the moment it just isn’t coming.

When skipper Cocks does get played through the decision making was either the wrong one or too hesitant.

The next goal was certainly a big one because if it went 3-0 then that would more or less be game over but if it went 2-1 then that would most certainly be game on.

As the game progressed and looking at both sides BARB seemed tentative and Formby were just much calmer.

As expected frustrations most definitely were risen because the away side had many chances to extend their lead.

BARB could either of stayed patient with their original plan or change to a plan B which in the end had to be the latter.

3 minutes before half-time and I saw what looked a stone wall penalty as Daniel Cocks pulled out the step overs and looked blatently tripped. That would have been ideal right on the stroke of half-time.

Half-Time: BARB 0-2 Formby

Borough made 2 changes at the break which saw Shawcross and Cocks make way for Boic and Bryan to try and fight their way back into the tie.

A minute in and BARB reply immediately as Shane Birtles picks the ball up, dribbles past an opponent and places it in the bottom corner. Stunning goal! That certainly lifted the spirits and could have been the start of a comeback.

However just 3 minutes later and Formby again stomped their authority as Francis Smith finds the net with an unmarked diving header.

As the rain started to hammer down, the game itself started to pick up pace as both sides were desperate for the next goal.

However BARB were just resorting to long range efforts but Jonathan Lupepe had a good chance from the edge of the box but just flashed it wide on 65 minutes.

The game was still bubbling up nicely in the heaps of rain, which gave it that proper old fashioned cup tie feel to it.

If it wasn’t for Ashlea Gotham in goal then it could have been a lot worse in all honesty.

As a quiet spell came around the loudest factor was now the buckets of rain coming down. You only get rain like this in Bacup.

Time ticked on and BARB needed to score soon as the game was slowly drifting away.

77 minutes gone and Francis Smith gets his second to make it 4-1 as they race through with suspicions of offside, great save by Gotham, great block by Birtles but third time lucky it goes in. This was game over unfortunately for the home side.

Big man Artjoms Butorins may not have been in his best form at the moment but he came on today and he won most of his headers. One flick on saw Lee Oldham race away but blasts over.

Full-Time: BARB 1-4 Formby

Not the best result or performance but we will go again as Monday we travel to Maine Road which we know will be a very tough game.

After the game the BARB manager Brent Peters had the following to say “The FA Cup draw was not kind to us with the visit of Formby, we knew what to expect having had to face them in our defence of the League Challenge Cup from which then we suffered a defeat.” Peters added “I will not beat about the bush, Formby are a terrific side that play with energy, good movement and with this they most certainly know where the goal is. The most important thing we needed to do was to match them in every department, something we sadly could not do, on the day their movement was too much for my young team.”

Peters said “Sometimes you have just got to hold ones hands up and admit defeat by a better team, this they were and whilst it is disappointing to make a quick cup exit in a financially lucrative competition, as much as it greaves me to say but it was a credit once again to our visitors for an exhibition of sheer quality.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *