Bacup Borough Football Club
content top

Bacup Breeze Past Runcorn

Team: 1. Bishop 2. Crook 3. Le (Sub Cosgrave) 4. Bond 5. Esdaille 6. Oldham 7. Rahman (Sub Jones) 8. Tayo 9. Bellamy (Sub Plummer) 10. Gamble 11. McKenzie
Subs not used: Morgan & Ashfaq
Attendance: 88

By Jay Taylor

Bacup & Rossendale Borough put in a terrific performance to beat Runcorn Town 4-1 to pick up their first points of the season.  

As manager Brent Peters said on Wednesday night after the Colne game, “It is only a matter of time until we get on track”, how right he was.

Peters made four changes to Wednesday’s narrow loss to Colne handing starts to Omar McKenzie and Rami Rahman as well as welcoming back goalkeeper Lewis Bishop and handing a debut to Ahn My Le.

BARB had a close call in the very first minute as Andrew Potter got in behind with space and forced a top save out of Lewis Bishop.

However Runcorn did take the lead on 13 minutes as Mark Keddie picked out a completely unmarked Samuel Houghton who had the time to look up and pick his spot in which he did comfortably.

Bacup kept playing their game and started to get right back in the match as just ten minutes later they equalised. It came from a corner which was floated in and it fell to Laquan Esdaille whose shot was blocked on the line and the rebound fell to Nathan Bond who powered home a diving header.

The biggest worry after Wednesday’s loss was the lack of shots altogether but Saturday’s victory saw this completely changed as Andrew Gamble and Rami Rahman both tested goalkeeper Hayden Buckley-Smith from distance.

Moments later and Bacup took the lead as a great run down the left-hand side by Rami Rahman allowed him to put in on a plate for captain Adrian Bellamy to tap in from six yards.

Half-Time: Runcorn Town 1-2 BARB

Runcorn started the half as they started the first, with a good chance, Paul Shanley’s shot made Bishop make another good save. Straight up the other hand and it really should have been 1-3 as Omar McKenzie was stronger and quicker than his opponent and put in a cross down the corridor in which Potter did incredibly well to clear off the line.

Keddie went close to getting Runcorn level as he toe poked inches wide of the mark.

However just eight minutes later and it was 1-3 to the Borough as Nathan Tayo nipped in, rounded the goalkeeper and tapped in.

After this goal went in Bacup really started to dominate proceedings as Tayo went close again as his stinging shot swerved from a tight angle and was spilled by the goalkeeper but grasped just before Bellamy.

On 69 minutes the three points were all but safe for BARB as Runcorn’s Daniel Clarke who was only on the pitch for four minutes was shown a straight red card for an off the ball elbow on Martin Cosgrave.

Bacup really should have found the back of the net even more as a goal mouth scramble fell to Bellamy who shot but was well saved by Buckley-Smith.

Shortly after and the Borough drove forward once again and a great switch by an injured Bellamy fell to Omar McKenzie who pulled out the step overs then fired a shot off but was saved onto the post.   

However on 85 minutes it was 1-4 as substitute Shaun Plummer cleverly back heeled to another sub David Jones who rolled it back to Plummer who finished exquisitely into the far corner for his first goal for the club.

Full-Time: Runcorn Town 1-4 Bacup & Rossendale Borough

A really impressive performance from the Bacup boys today against a top Runcorn Town side, let’s take this into Wednesday night against St. Helens Town.