Bacup Borough Football Club
content top

Bacup Make Their Point With Fitting Tribute


Playing their first game since the tragic death of Bryan Herbet on Tuesday, Bacup showed the sort of grit and determination that Bryan was renowned for in twice coming from behind to gain an excellent 2-2 draw against a Padiham side that had only lost once in the league. Manager Brent Peters kept faith with the starting XI that had beaten Alsager Town a week earlier, whilst on the bench both Scott Byrom and David Limabrook were returning from injury.

The minutes silence before the game was impeccably observed by the bumper non-league day crowd of 212 and the majority of them were delighted to see The Storks take an early lead. In the third minute a defensive slip let in Martin Parkes and he made no mistake in coolly lobbing Ryan Jones for the opener. Bacup recovered well from this setback and went on to dominate most of the half. In the fifth minute Shane Birtles whipped in a dangerous cross that was turned round for a corner and this set piece was in turn almost met by Otis Gorman. Adam Dale also went close in the early stages. In the 14th minute Joe Edwards sent a free-kick narrowly over the crossbar following a foul on Haydn Paul. The home side were also dangerous from set plays and four minutes later Joe Garvin’s free-kick  from the left was headed narrowly over by Neil Stansfield. At the other end Paul was almost in on goal but his effort was cleared off the line by Sam Morris. In the 22nd minute Borough were given an opportunity to equalise when team captain Daniel Cocks was taken down in the area after receiving a quick short throw from Birtles. Bacup’s leading goalscorer dusted himself down to get up and take the resulting spot kick and sent it straight down the middle past Sean Davis for the leveller.

Padiham almost regained the lead on 27 minutes but Ted Cockett saw his header rebound to safety off the near post with Jones beaten. On the half hour mark Shane Birtles collected a booking for what looked a tame challenge and a minute later the hosts regained the lead. Garvin was the scorer with a strike that took a wicked deflection off a defender giving Jones no chance. Bacup picked up another yellow card after Steve Maden was booked for bringing down the last man and the resulting free-kick was well gathered low down by Jones. On the stroke of half-time Edwards cross fell to Cocks whose effort was well blocked by a strong defensive challenge. There was an unsavoury incident near the interval when Dale appeared to be elbowed by Liam Foster but neither official saw anything and no action was taken. However the challenge caused Dale to withdraw at the break to be replaced by Scott Byrom for the second period. HALF-TIME: Padiham 2 Bacup Borough 1

Bacup had once again restricted a side to not a single corner in the opening 45 minutes, as they had done with Alsager a week previously, but the second half was to prove a different story. Padiham showed their attacking intent four minutes after the restart, Garvin shooting narrowly wide from distance. Two minutes later good trickery from Stansfield almost saw him find a way past Jones, whilst David Sherlock’s rasping effort was expertly tipped over the bar by Jones. Gareth Wager collected Bacups’ third yellow card for dissent whilst on the hour mark Cocks sent a free-kick from the edge of the area narrowly wide. Five minutes later Kirk fed a great ball through to Edwards on the left but his well struck effort was straight at Davis. David Limabrook joined the action for Maden and with 20 minutes remaining the latest chance for the home side saw Stansfield drive over. Wager redeemed himself from his booking with a superb last ditch challenge to deny substitute Ben Allen, whilst Garvin’s low drive was easily gathered by Jones.

A minute later and Borough restored parity. An excellent cross from the right by Paul was met powerfully and superbly by Limabrook to drive the ball into the net for his opening goal for the club. Padiham kept up their pattern of pressure although they finally collected a booking themselves as Elliot Dunn entered the referees notebook after a string of infringements by the home players. On 82 minutes a good run from Garvin ended with him firing wide whilst at the other end Kirk fed Paul but he drove over from a good position. It was now end to end stuff as both teams looked to win the match, and Jones did well to keep out Sherlock’s close range effort. Bacup had a great chance to collect the three points a minute from time as Edwards free-kick superbly set up Kirk with room for a strike on the edge of the area but he was unable to keep his shot down and Borough had to settle for a deserved point. FULL-TIME: Padiham 2 Bacup Borough 2

Bacup Borough: Jones, Birtles, Edwards, Wager, Gorman, Maden (sub. Limabrook 67 mins), Cocks, Kingsley Williams, Paul, Dale (sub. Byrom 45 mins (sub. Nelson 74 mins)), Kirk. Subs Not Used: Maine, Bennett. Attendance: 212.

MATCH STATS: SHOTS ON TARGET: Padiham 12 Bacup Borough 4  SHOTS OFF TARGET: Padiham 8 Bacup Borough 8  CORNERS: Padiham 8 Bacup Borough 4