Bacup Punished After Failing To Take Chances

AFC Liverpool scored two in each half to see off Bacup & Rossendale Borough, however that doesn’t quite say the whole story.

Bacup were wearing their third kit of dark blue and yellow for the first time this season but however they got off to the worst possible start conceding in just the fourth minute due to some slow reactions. Liverpool took a quick free-kick which caught Borough off guard and simple low cross and tap in at the near post by Ryan Cox made it 1-0.

However this woke BARB up straight away and then conjured up three really good chances in a matter of minutes which turned out to be crucial. Firstly a nothing hoof up field from Shane Birtles dropped to Jack Alderson which saw himself clean in on goal but at a tight angle which he struck okay but right at the goalkeeper at a nice height. Then just a minute later another ball over the top causes problems as the keeper comes but captain Cocks gets there first but just can’t get his shot off. Thirdly and again they get in behind with Alderson this time who rounds the keeper at a tight angle and tees up Cocks who leans back and strokes over the bar.

The game then started to become very even as a good shot from Liverpool’s striker Ronnie Morgan produced John Ogden to clutch the ball confidently. Moments later and it was very nearly 2-0 as a deep corner was headed but Jonny Heap was there to clear off the line superbly to keep it at 1-0. Having said that, minutes later and it could have been 1-1 as a dangerous corner by Matty Bryan was met by Laquan Esdaille but was blocked and then it dropped to Lee Oldham just a few inches from goal but he just couldn’t get a shot off and Laquan then had a second bite of the cherry which was also blocked and eventually cleared.

Manager Brent Peters clearly wasn’t happy with the shape as he brought off Paul Socha and brought on Boic Nhwziyo ten minutes before the break. Eight minutes before the end of the half Daniel Cocks had another decent chance as a clearance fell to him just inside the penalty area which he chests down but again strikes over the crossbar. Three minutes after and Cocks found himself bearing down on goal again at a tight angle which he smashes over. Bacup should definitely be level with the chances they carved out.

However just a minute before the whistle it was 2-0 to AFC Liverpool as a low free-kick was fizzed in and Ronnie Morgan passes it home as he got a run on his man at the back post. Crucial time to score right on half-time.

Half-Time: AFC Liverpool 2-0 BARB

This game was all about crucial goal times and in the 52nd minute it was 3-0 to AFC Liverpool and effectively game over. Shaun Harris received the ball 25 yards out with too much space and he hit a great strike which was too powerful for Ogden to keep out.

After that third goal went in the game started getting away from Bacup more and more.

Jack Alderson then gave away which saw a debut given to Gino Raffaele Moncini.

Inevitably it was then 4-0 to the home side as Robert Lamont made a simple run forward in which he got picked out and bent it low into the near corner.

There was very little action in the second half as AFC Liverpool slowed the game down and Bacup were demoralized but the result was sealed after that third goal went in.

However you do have to look back at them numerous chances that Borough wasted, if they went in it could have been a much different game.

Full-Time: AFC Liverpool 4-0 Bacup & Rossendale Borough

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *