Bacup Borough Football Club
content top

BARB Shoot Themselves In The Foot

Team: 1. O’Boyle 2. Bancroft 3. Bryan (Sub Cocks) 4. Wager (c) (Sub Kirk) 5. Esdaille 6. Oldham (Sent off 21mins) 7. Bellamy 8. Finnigan 9. Humphreys 10. McDonald 11. McKenzie (Sub Cosgrave)
Subs not used:
Socha & Westwood
Attendance: 41

Report by Jay Taylor

Bacup & Rossendale Borough saw red which effectively killed off the game however Winsford took full advantage.

Manager Brent Peters named an unchanged side from their valuable point at leaders Runcorn Linnets on Saturday.

It was an impressively positive start for the Borough as Nathan McDonald struck fiercely from range which the keeper just held onto in the very first minute.

Everything was positive in the opening stages and just six minutes later brought some more lovely build-up play. A good long free-kick by Gareth Wager found Bellamy whose flick down found Omar McKenzie who came close to diverting on target.

It was a convincing start for all Bacup fans watching however, when dominating a game like they were players start to filter further and further forward and there is always a risk of being countered upon which did indeed happen. Bacup delivered in a corner which was cleared, Winsford broke with pace and Dominic Marie was played through on goal who slotted home comfortably. This goal came massively against the run of play for BARB so was disappointing for them to concede after such an impressive start.

The goal went in for the away side but it was the home side that still kept pushing forward and McDonald again made sure the goalkeeper was alert making him save well.

Winsford although looked dangerous on the wings and in the 21st minute the turning point in the game arose. Osebi Abadanki showed electrifying pace down the right hand side and Lee Oldham took him down which handed the blues a penalty. Just to add insult to injury Oldham was shown a straight red card for his tackle which left Bacup with a mountain to climb, especially as Callam Gardner tucked the spot kick away.

Things inevitably started to wobble for the Borough as Winsford looked to put the game to bed early. After starting so well Gardner turned over from close range to let them off the hook.

Bacup weren’t just going to be rolled over and have their tummies tickled however as they got a goal back eight minutes before the break. Good, slick build-up play led to Omar McKenzie picking out Adrian Bellamy on the right hand side who placed his shot off the post and in to get his second goal in his last two matches.

It was a lifeline with a man less and they did still look dangerous when going forward but it was all about keeping it tight at the back now.

Half-Time: Bacup 1-2 Winsford

Bacup made a double change at the break bringing on Daniel Cocks and Martin Cosgrave for Omar McKenzie and Matty Bryan.

Their perhaps could have been a penalty awarded for the home side as every single player seemed convinced it was handball but after a few seconds to think the referee didn’t look interested.

You just got the feeling that the game was slipping away from BARB as large spaces and gaps began to appear and Winsford’s pressure did in fact pay off as they received another penalty kick twenty minutes into the half due to Gareth Wager’s rash tackle on Jake Hibbs. Gardner again stepped up and scored but O’Boyle got a big hand on it and nearly kept it out.

That goal seemed to just about kill the game off and as the regular heavens opened profusely in Bacup, it got tougher to play in.  

Nathan McDonald was the one once again pulling the trigger as his dinked free-kick flashed narrowly wide of the post.

Despite being two goals down and a man down Bacup were still creating chances to score. This time Arron Kirk’s first touch since coming on and returning from injury led to Bellamy racing in but his flicked shot with the outside of the boot skimmed just wide of the mark.

The game was indeed officially put to bed just fifteen minutes from time as Jake Hibbs rounded the goalkeeper and rolled the ball in.

There was to be one final chance for Bacup to pull back a consolation as the energetic Ryan Humphreys was played in but his chipped shot dropped inches wide.

Full-Time: Bacup & Rossendale Borough 1-4 Winsford United