Borough Disappointed After 8 Goal Thriller

Team: 1. Ogden 2. Bellamy 3. Morgan 4. Esdaille 5. Harling 6. Birtles 7. Cocks (c) (Sub Calvert) 8. Oldham 9. Butorins (Sub Thompson) 10. Kirk (Sub Nhwziyo) 11. Bryan

Subs not used: Gotham and Wager


Bacup & Rossendale Borough somehow surrendered many a lead in the Rotherham sunshine.

As the game got underway in the September warmth the Borough started like they meant business as it was complete domination. They were finding plenty of space and time as Parkgate looked very slow out of the blocks. After just eight minutes BARB got an early goal as debutant Laquan Esdaille went route one and found Birtles in behind the defence. It looked as though he could have glanced it over the onrushing goalkeeper with his head but he went with his right foot which hits the keeper and the rebound falls to Artjoms Butorins who nets into an open goal to get his first of the season.

After this goal went in nothing changed, Bacup kept pushing and pushing their opponents backwards and as they have been lacking goals massively today would be perfect to get back in the scoring habit.

As it is a big FA competition with the final being held at Wembley tensions were extremely high as both sides were desperate to win and at times it was very feisty. It was inevitable that the home side would settle as time went on and so they did but not causing any danger. BARB still looked extremely dangerous and just past the twentieth minute and the Lancashire side doubled their lead as full-back Luke Morgan superbly stepped in and intercepted his opponent before setting Matty Bryan off down the left hand side who smashes low and takes a big deflection of the defender to find the net. It was unsure to see if it was a Bryan goal or an own goal, if only there was a dubious goals panel to turn to.

However just five minutes later Parkgate got right back in the game as a low cross was swept in by the striker at the near post. Borough had to settle down and maintain that two goal lead but they couldn’t do that.

However once again the pendulum swung as just four minutes later the club captain Daniel Cocks who was back from injury today trickily skipped past his player whose trailing leg brought down the attacker. Cocks stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way, 3-1 and Bacup had restored their two goal lead.

That was three goals in eight minutes; you literally could not take your eyes off this action packed contest.

The whole side looked dangerous each time they went forward, especially on the flanks with Matty Bryan and Daniel Cocks and just before half-time Morgan finds Bryan sprinting over the top, goes for the lob which the keeper just gets a touch on and it drops inches wide. That would have been a massive goal going into the break at 1-4.

Half-Time: Parkgate 1-3 BARB

That miss on half-time was about to look worse as just two minutes into the half Parkgate pegged back again as a free-kick was whipped across the front and was diverted in by the defender.

BARB should have been putting this game to bed but again they are nervously close and it just wasn’t needed as it was another set-piece.

The game was nervously on tenterhooks again and just after the hour mark Aaron Kirk was trying his luck from range several times all going close but on 66 minutes and third time lucky his strike from range found the bottom corner. That two goal cushion was back again, this was surely game over I hear you ask?

Well with just 15 minutes to go some more poor defending from the away side lead to somehow a Parkgate player being unmarked 6 yards from goal and able to bicycle kick the ball into the back of the net. Pegged back once again but surely BARB would hang on……

5 minutes from time and yes the inevitable happens as the defence back off and George Morley smashed low into the corner to unbelievably make it 4-4. An absolutely bitter pill to swallow for the Borough after being pegged back from a two goal cushion three times which you simply just can’t afford to do.

On the other hand there was one more chance in it for Bacup as they broke with Matty Bryan’s electric pace down the left who puts it in the corridor and a superb tackle denies substitute Simon Thompson from winning the tie.

Full-Time: Parkgate 4-4 Bacup & Rossendale Borough

So as it was in the FA Vase competition the format is extra-time then if it isn’t settled it will be a replay, no penalties.

Extra-time got underway and it was a given that players were going to tire and cracks were going to appear but the only action was coming from substitute Marcus Calvert who tested the keeper a few times. In the 103rd minute a poor Bryan corner was salvaged by Lee Oldham who jinked past two inside the box but his shot went well over from close range.

Half-Time in Extra-Time: 4-4

The only action of the second half of extra-time was a nasty looking injury to full-back Luke Morgan who had to be carried off which in the end lead to some unsavoury scenes as tempers flared.

Full-Time (AET): Parkgate 4-4 Bacup & Rossendale Borough

A quite incredible game which the Borough should have most definitely won and won in style.

This tie will now be replayed at the Brian Boys West View Stadium.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *