Bacup Borough Football Club
content top

Challenge Cup Tie Abandoned At Half-Time

After an action packed first half, the cup tie between Atherton Collieries and Bacup & Rossendale Borough was abandoned at half-time due to an altercation in the tunnel.

However the game started with a frantic pace to it with BARB starting the stronger pushing for an early goal. The pitch at Atherton was quite clearly sloped and Bacup were kicking uphill first half but dug in well and pushed the opposing defence right back towards their own goal.

On the other hand though Atherton grew into the game taking the downhill slope to their advantage as Daryl Patton volleys just wide on 11 minutes. Minutes later and Colls whip in a corner and the centre half who was completely unmarked glanced his header just wide.

The game was end to end stuff with chances coming thick and fast for both sides as a dangerous Matty Bryan corner comes in which the powerhouse Laquan Esdaille met which lead to a goalmouth scramble which in the end got flicked over by a Colls defender.

Moments later and Colls race down the hill and a lovely flighted ball over the top found captain Brad Cooke who went for an audacious acrobatic kick which he met sweetly but was matched by a superb save by Mark Clapham.

However it was then the home side who broke the deadlock first coming in the 27th minute. Gareth Peet picked the ball up on the left and somehow jinked right down the flank and inside the defence unchallenged and smashed the ball low and hard into the back of the net.

BARB need to settle and settle they did as just 9 minutes later as Borough countered and Jack Alderson found himself in acres of space in the midfield who then set Matty Bryan flying down the left who put it on a plate for captain Daniel Cocks to head into the far corner to equalise.

However the game swung back to the home team again as just before half-time the skipper Brad Cooke burst through the middle of Bacup’s defence and smashes the ball in on the half volley to make it 2-1 to Colls at the break.

Half-Time: Atherton Collieries 2-1 Bacup & Rossendale Borough

Now came the altercation, as both sides were walking in for the break a fight broke out in the tunnel. Not sure on exactly what happened but the referee decided to abandon the game at half-time.