Early Goals Catch Borough Cold


With a side containing many trialists it was probably unsuprising that Bacup were slow out of the blocks at Lightfoot Lane today, falling behind in the first minute when Mitch Newsham’s effort caught the defence cold. The West Lancs side dominated the early exchanges and with more height and physical presence than the visitors it looked as if Borough would be in for a tough afternoon. John Stead should have doubled Fulwood’s lead in the 12th minute but sent his free header straight into the arms of Paul Horridge. Two minutes later the same player headed wide following a cross from the left but these were to prove just his markers as on 17 minutes Stead made no mistake in converting Mark Hines superb cross from the right to put the Amateurs two up.

It took nineteen minutes for Borough to have their first effort on goal, Jamil Adams firing high and wide. Fulwood wasted two more good chances before Scott Byrom should have reduced the arrears in the 35th minute. A long range effort cannoned off the crossbar but with the goal at his mercy he got his header all wrong and it went harmlessly over. At the other end Horridge kept Bacup in the game with a superb save low down to his left moments later before another free header for the home side saw Phil Blackwell head wide when he should have done better. On 42 minutes Jimmy Slater’s long range effort needed a good save from Horridge, whilst Blackwell fired another header off target. The half ended with Peter Wright firing over for the home side. HALF-TIME: Fulwood Amateurs 2 Bacup Borough 0

Whatever gaffer Brent Peters said to the players at half-time seemed to have an effect as they nullified the threat from Fulwood a lot better after the interval. Wright did go close in the 46th minute but his low drilled effort rolled harmlessly wide. There were also a couple more early scares for the visitors as once again they took a while to settle at the start of a half. Gradually Borough started to put their feet on the ball a bit more and for the first time controlled a period of the game. Kinglsey Williams struck a good effort in the 54th minute but it was just over, whilst the lively Jamil Adams sent in a crisp effort that produced the first real save from the home keeper in turning it around the near post. Fulwood were still dangerous on the counter and following a cross from the right Stead missed a great 81st minute chance to put the result beyond doubt. In the final five minutes Scott Byrom and Joel Howarth both had efforts to try and get Borough on the scoresheet but to no avail. The final whistle signalled Bacup’s first defeat of pre-season and they must now regroup for the visit of Coppul United to the Brian Boys West View Stadium on Tuesday night.

Bacup Borough: Paul Horridge, Gareth Wager, Aleem Saleem, Max Parker, Callum Matthews, Martin Peters, Scott Byrom, Anthony Hough (sub. Joel Howarth 66 mins), Artjoms Britoris (sub. Josh Shepherd 75 mins), Jamil Adams (sub. Nicky Simmonds 75 mins), Kinglsey Williams. Attendance: 19  STAR MAN: John Stead (Fulwood Amateurs) – Always a threat.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *