Bacup Borough Football Club
content top

Full Match Report From The REEBOK Stadium

Action from last night game. Photo: Marc Taylor


Last night Bacup Borough travelled to the Reebok Stadium in Bolton bidding to win the Lancashire Co-Operative Trophy for the first time in 102 years. Their opponents were Evo Stik League Premier Division outfit AFC Fylde from two levels higher up the pyramid. Watched by the biggest crowd they have played in front of since the visit of FC United of Manchester to West View five years ago, Boro boss Brent Peters made two changes from the side that played last time out against St. Helens Town, one of them enforced. Tommy Turner was unavailable due to competition rules and he made way for returning team captain Daniel Cocks. The other change was in midfield where the returning Lee Oldham came in for Paul Nelson. On the bench there were two additions from the St. Helens game in the shape of Haydn Paul and goalkeeper Matthew Wrigley.

On a bitterly cold night Borough tried to be quick out of the blocks, but the first chance fell to the ‘Coasters’. Harry Winter found himself facing Ryan Jones at point blank range but not for the last time during the evening Jones proved himself up to the challenge and made a fine save. There was a half chance for Bacup in the fourth minute when Oldham’s effort was deflected for a corner but for the most part the higher division outfit looked comfortable on the ball despite Bacup’s efforts to contain them. It was to Boroughs credit that the next chance for Fylde did not arrive until the 28th minute, when Michael Barnes effort was saved low down by Jones. However on 37 minutes Bacup were masters of their own destruction as they carelessly gave the ball away from their own free-kick. The stolen ball was quickly played down the left channel into space for Jimmy McCarthy to run onto and he made no mistake in beating Jones with a cool finish. Having already seen their team captain Cocks receive lengthy treatment for an injury, the Boro faithful were dismayed to see Luke Morgan limping off in the 41st minute with what looked like a hamstring injury, to be replaced by Shane Birtles. They were pleased to get back in the dressing room at half-time to regroup. HALF-TIME: Bacup Borough 0 AFC Fylde 1

Bacup came out purposefully after the re-start and you sensed they believed they could take something out of the game. A minute into the second period Matty Bryan whipped in an excellent cross that saw David Gray going close. Then, five minutes later, Bryan fed Cocks who showed great speed to race into the area only to be denied by the trailing leg of Ben Hinchliffe. It was to prove Bacup’s best chance of the match, although moments later Oldham fired narrowly wide. The tiring Karl Stanley was replaced by Martin Cosgrave, with Bryan dropping deeper. He almost had an instant impact, just failing to get on the end of Gray’s dangerous cross from the right. On 62 minutes Darren Evans went close from distance but at the other end, following a slip by Gareth Wager, Jones produced a superb save at the feet of James Dean to deny the striker. Cocks collected the first booking of the night for a tackle from behind but in general the game was being played in a good spirit. Cocks turned provider on 68 minutes feeding Cosgrave, but he hurried his effort and blazed wide. Three minutes later Oldham drove tamely at Hinchliffe before Limabrooke joined the action for Arron Kirk. The game was effectively decided in the 77th minute when Artjoms Butorins was penalised for a foul in the box. Later the Fylde bench admitted that the offence took place outside the area and that no contact had been made. However that did not stop Fylde captain Joe Booth from dispatching the ball to the net straight down the middle. Apart from Winter collecting a booking for a foul on Cocks that was pretty much the last action of the evening and after a brave performance Borough were left to reflect on what might have been. They now need to quickly lift themselves for the visit of Formby in the League Challenge Cup Quarter Final on Thursday night. FULL-TIME: Bacup Borough 0 AFC Fylde 2

BACUP BOROUGH: Jones, Wager, Stanley (sub. Cosgrave 55 mins), Morgan (sub. Birtles 41 mins), Butorins, Evans, Gray, Oldham, Cocks, Kirk (sub. Limabrooke 74 mins), Bryan. Subs Not Used: Paul, Wrigley. Attendance: 725.