Bacup Borough Football Club
content top

Match Report: Ashton Town v Bacup Borough

Ashton Town -1-Bacup Borough -2

Bacup Borough travelled to Ashton In Makerfield for this their final away day of this current season, this was to be Bacup’s fourth game in seven days, following their recent win against Stockport Town, a creditable 1-1 draw away to Holker was then followed by a 1-0 reverse to promotion hopefuls Widnes, before securing all three points at Ashton Town making it seven points out of a possible 12.

Bacup welcomed Ben Boyne back to their attack making his first appearance since scoring against Daisy Hill back in October, Ben led the front line really well competing for every ball with live wire Rio Wilson working well in tandem with him, it was Wilson to whom opened the scoring following a through ball from Connor Porter, from which Wilson latched onto before producing an excellent finish, there was not many scoring opportunities for Ashton but minutes following Bacup taking the lead, Ashton worked a move up the Bacup Borough’s right from which a goal bound effort brought a spectacular save from Louis McCarthy making only his second appearance for Bacup.

Bacup attacking down the slope in the first half worked two back to back opportunities, first of all Nathan Emery connected well with the ball with a powerful header, which was punched out but only has far as Ben Boyne, with his back to goal producing a spectacular overhead kick which was saved for a corner which was eventually defended.

Despite Bacup Borough’s first half dominance, Ashton were given a life line when the Referee ruled Trent Simm had held his opponent in the box, a penalty was awarded and converted to take Ashton level in the game.

Bacup soon got themselves back in front, this goal typified why strikers should not give up on what seems a wasted ball, this and a mixture of bravery, something lacking in some players mentality but on this occasion not Ben Boyne’s, a long deep ball was chased down by Boyne, the Ashton keeper came rushing out has Boyne made contact with the ball, the Ashton keeper made contact with Ben Boyne knocking him to the floor, treatment was needed and a penalty was awarded, up stepped Rio Wilson to slot the ball just inside the post with the Ashton keeper beaten.

At Half time with Bacup 2-1 in front Manager Brent Peters was forced a change when Trent Simm had to be replaced with Ryan Heywood, it was later confirmed that Trent had broken a bone in his hand, this is yet another blow to Bacup to whom have had more than their fair share of long term injury absentee’s this season.

In the second half Ashton were kicking down the slope, due to this they put three men high and constantly knocked long balls forward onto our rear guard but they were up against a strong defensive unit well marshalled by Captain Adrian Bellamy ensuring three points were in the bag from the first half brace of Rio Wilson.