Bacup Borough Football Club
content top

Match Report: Athereton LR v Bacup Borough

Athereton LR 1-3 Bacup Borough

By Matthew Lawson

A Matty Bryan double inspires Borough as they take all three points.

Off the back of a spirited second half performance at Whitchurch on Saturday, Bacup were on the road once again, this time a little closer to home, with Atherton LR being the hosts for the NWCFL First division match.

During the week Bacup manager Brent Peters signed Charles Collinge and Oliver McLean to bolster his midfield options, the pair started side by side in the middle of midfield for the trip to Atherton.

Borough started brightly, Adrian Bellamy rose highest following a free kick from Charles Collinge, but his header was straight at the Atherton goalkeeper.

In the opening exchanges both sides had chances, Nick Sharples kept the scores level with a great save low to his left after, the Atherton forward found space in the Box.

As the game reached the half hour mark, the touch paper was lit, Nathan Tayo brought down Atherton’s Theo Kidd inside the area and the referee pointed to the spot, Kidd dusted himself off and converted the spot kick to put the hosts 1-0 up.

From the restart Borough went on the attack, great link up play from Bryan and Morrison ended in the latter being pulled to the ground inside the box, giving the referee no option other than to point to the spot for the second time in the game. Before the penalty could be taken there was a lengthy stoppage so that Atherton’s Lewis Welsh could receive treatment. This was no distraction for Matty Bryan as he stepped up and calmly slotted the ball to the keepers left to equalise.

Within minutes of the Bacup equaliser, the comeback was complete after Wayne Morrison added a second for Brent’s men, Richard Walker pressed high and forced the Atherton defender into a crucial mistake, Bryan pounced and used his pace to get beyond the right back before playing the ball into the danger area where the ball was met by Morrison to touch in from close range.

The second half began in similar fashion to the first, an end to end game of football which saw both teams go close, Nick Sharples again making a crucial save for Bacup to keep their 1 goal lead intact before Matty Bryan ran 40 yards and fizzed a low ball towards Morrison at the back post who was inches away from making it 3 but for a superb tackle from the back tracking full back.

With just over 10 minutes left of this entertaining fixture Matty Bryan put the game to bed with his second goal of the game, Ewan Cooper won the ball back on half way before playing a perfectly weighted ball into Bryan who was through one on one with Purdham in the Atherton goal, gave the keeper the eyes and coolly finished low to his left to make it 3-1.

Bacup dug deep to keep the score at 3-1 and get the well deserved and vital 3 points from the short trip to Greater Manchester. A tough place to go but a well earned three points and another performance that Brent Peters and his players can be proud of.

Bacup Team Sharples, Wilmore, Bellamy, Tayo, Hough, Cooper, Collinge, McLean(Collinson), Walker, (Barlow) Morrison (Thompson) Bryan Subs Not Used Rhodes, Stewart.
Saturday February 3rd Sees Bacup make another trip to Greater Manchester where they face Chadderton.