MATCH REPORT: Bacup 3-2 Ashton Town



Bacup Borough 3- Ashton Town -2

Bacup Borough took all three points in what turned out to be an evenly contested game with Ashton Town but how things might have been different but for a stunning save from Bacup Borough’s young goal keeper with the scores at 2-2.

Manager Brent Peters was without four of his regulars with Defender Laquan Esdaille, Midfield player Nicholas Alexander, and Striker Micah Evans all unavailable and young Kyle Brooks injured this presented an opportunity for striker Bobby Carter to make his first start since returning from Steeton, Carter could not have wished for a better return when a quarter of the way into the game he latched onto a loose ball before finishing well shooting his side into the lead, despite the home sides slender lead there was very little to choose between the two sides in an evenly balanced half with minimum opportunities for both sides  although following a Bacup free kick after a foul on Michael Gervin which Michael Gervin did take himself and did have the Ashton keeper needing two attempts to secure the ball into his possession.


Half Time 1-0

The second half was a different story with four goals shared between the two sides, Ashton got the break they were looking for not long into the half when the Ashton player was running away from goal at the top of the penalty area heading towards the adjacent field with Rees Welsh to his left and Bobby Carter to his right the player went down like the farmer in the adjacent field had shot him, if ever a referee was conned, well this was it much to the astonishment of the Bacup faithful a penalty was awarded, converted and with this Ashton on level terms,  it was not long before the home side restored their lead following a free kick in the Ashton half, the ball was worked from right to left involving Jimmy Constantine and Davison Banda who found Rees Welsh who took on a couple of players before cutting inside and finishing well to restore the lead for Bacup.


Ashton were not finished here, following a move down Bacup Borough’s left a deep cross was put in eluding both Bacup’s centre backs, astonishingly Bacup’s Matty Dell who was Bacups furthest covering defender had allowed a player to drift in front of him, leaving the player nestled between Bellamy and Dell, with Dell being the wrong side at this point he was helpless  to offer any challenge leaving their player with the simplest of finishes unopposed and with this putting his side back once again on level terms.

Two come backs from Ashton gave them the belief that they could go onto win this game, pushing more men forward with Bacup now finding themselves on the defensive, struggling to get out of their half, it looked like it was game over when a quality ball was put in from Bacups right, when their striker connected with a well placed bullet header into the top corner to Harry Turner’s left, their striker was immediately celebrating, their bench was on their feet also celebrating, then suddenly young Harry Turner leaped like a salmon to push the ball for a corner which was defended, this save was really something special, given the time on the clock, it would have been debatable whether the home side would have been able to have come back from this had Ashton had scored, they didn’t, Bacup pushed on in search themselves for the winner and when the lively Anthony Hall coming off the blind side to disposes a dithering defender, he played a superb ball into the path of Captain Adrian Bellamy who had found himself high up the pitch from his usual centre back roll, has the keeper desperately came out in an attempt to thwart any danger, The Bacup Captain used all his invaluable experience to shoot home the winner for his Bacup team and with it three valuable points, the game could have gone either way, the difference to separate two determined teams was an high class save from the Bacup keeper at one end and a top finish from Captain Adrian Bellamy at the opposite end.