MATCH REPORT: Bacup 3-2 Carlise City


Bacup Borough 3-Carlisle City 2


Seventeen Year Old Kyle Brooks was the un sung hero in this Christmas Cracker, not only did  Brooks finish the all important goal but he actually started the move from the edge of his own penalty area where he broke following a City Corner, before linking play and then providing the all important finish which has put Bacup Borough within two points of fifth place and finished their final home game of 2018 with a win.


Carlisle City who are second in the league will be ruing their early opportunities when on a couple of occasions they had got themselves in behind the Bacup defence but lacked that finishing, however fifteen minutes in, a long high ball into the direction of Josh Walne who headed the ball towards Jordan Wilmore who had made the decision to go beyond Walne, the ball was given away, from this the opposition went forward and took the lead,  but like has happened in previous games Bacup have proved that set backs make them more determined, no exception here when Rees Welsh from the left played a ball into Anthony Hall who with a clever bit of skill flicked the ball around the corner into Michael Gervin who then drove into the City Penalty area before being completely taken out, there was never any doubt that this was not a penalty, up stepped the provider, Anthony Hall, whilst his initial shot was saved the ball came back to him, at the second attempt Bacup were on level terms.


The game was very much end to end stuff with some really good football being executed by both sides on a pitch that was becoming more difficult with the amount of rain having come down resulting in a lot of other games having been called off, despite this Bacup continued to play football and utilise their pace, Matthew Dell & Josh Walne did combine well before the final ball going into Anthony Hall who’s clever quick feet, first one way and then the next way before slotting the ball past the Carlisle keeper to give his side a slender lead


Bacup most certainly should have made it three goals before the break and with this give themselves a two goal cushion, Josh Walne played an excellent weighted ball in behind the City defence for Matthew Dell  who ghosted into the space afforded by City, their keeper came out to close the angle, Dell went around their keeper, he had chance to compose himself before striking but hurriedly once around the Carlise stopper he snatched at his shot with the ball going agonisingly wide, at this stage Bacup were enjoying plenty of possession with several players stepping into area’s all wanting a piece of the action, however this proved to be their downfall when Jordan Wilmore seemed to run into a body of players, has the player goes to ground looking for a free kick which the official was having none of, City played one straight ball forward which caught the defensive unit completely not together, the City player found himself in space has he broke through before finishing, given the chances Borough had prior to this goal, going in at the break all square must have been a disappointment.


With no changes at the break, Bacup with the same starting eleven soon found themselves off the hook when failing to put pressure on the ball giving a City player the opportunity to hit a thunderous shot which struck the Bacup bar before bouncing back into play from which City reacted first but not before committing a foul from which the Referee awarded to Bacup which gave them the chance to relieve the pressure.


Soon after Manager Brent Peters made a change and with it a sight tweak to the shape of the side, Josh Walne who had taken a couple of earlier knocks was replaced with striker Bobby Carter, following this change it seemed to change the dimension by reducing the pressure off Bacup Borough’s rear guard onto that of Carlisle Cities, Bacup’s Michael Gervin was fouled deep into the City half, Michael Gervin himself took the kick from which Captain Adrian Bellamy stretched in an attempt to connect with the ball but could only manage to put the ball over for  a goal kick,  with time going on and the game evenly poised, there had to be total concentration from either side, as any mistake leading to a goal would be difficult to come back from,  Carlisle pushed Bacup back and forced a corner, from the resulting corner has the ball drops at the edge of the box, Kyle Brooks took the ball away from the danger attacking the space out in front of him before releasing for Matthew Dell who drove into the box, once the opportunity seemed to have gone for himself to finish, he found young 17 year old Kyle Brooks who finished masterfully sending the West View faithful and players into raptures, make no mistake this was an hard fought determined victory for Bacup Borough in what turned out to be a Christmas Cracker from which Carlisle City played their part.


Bacup Team

Henry Turner, Darcy O’Connor, Adrian Bellamy, Davison Banda, Joshua Walne( Bobby Carter) Jordan Wilmore ( Nicholas Alexander ) Kyle Brooks, Rees Welsh, Michael Gervin, Matthew Dell, Anthony Hall


Substitute’s not used   Louis Holding, Benjamin Rhodes, Harrison Leach.