Bacup Borough Football Club
content top



It took a late extra time goal by Chadderton’s Samuel Gibson to separate these two sides in a highly entertaining, hard fought game.

Bacup without the services of Nathan Emery & Adrian Bellamy both suspended and Captain Kelvin Trippier to whom has undergone surgery on a recurring foot injury but were able to welcome back Darcy O’Connor and Gareth Wager to whom both missed the previous League win at Daisy Hill.

Jonathan ThompsonBacup completely dominated first half possession with Ashley Leather proving to be too much for the Chadderton defence, constantly getting in behind creating real opportunities for his side, whilst at the opposite end of the pitch Bacup reduced Chadderton to one long range effort from Matthew Crothers which went narrowly wide of the post, despite Bacup Borough’s dominance it took them forty four minutes to break the deadlock but when it did eventually come it was a good executed move ending in a good Thompson finish with his head, Stuart Craig and Ashley Leather to whom had both combined well together down the Bacup right for most of the half started the move which Leather showed pace to get beyond his full back before cutting inside and delivering a perfect cross for the advancing Johnathan Thompson to head his side into a slender half time lead.

In reality it is quoted that the best time to score and the worst time to concede is just before half time, this philosophy proved just the opposite has Chadderton came out for the second half in typical determined mood from which for the first time in the game they were posing quite a threat, breaking through midfield with ease before a great strike from Matthew Crothers brought equally a great save from Aaron Ashley tipping the ball over for a corner kick, the resulting corner was headed over by James Curley. At this stage Bacup had to withstand some good penetrating pressure from the visitors but it was Bacup that should have doubled their score, how they did not is still a mystery when Thompson sent Anthony Hall through onto goal, Hall did everything right placing his shot to the keepers right which was goal bound but somehow held up enough for Chadderton to recover and clear.

Bacup were forced into a change when Jordan Rutter had to leave the pitch after still feeling the effects of a first half challenge to be replaced by Ashley Mihell making his first appearance for the club.

Following a Bacup attack the home side failed to get back into shape which did lead to Chaddertons equaliser, with their striker Gareth Hill dropping in off the Bacup back line, it was midfield player Samuel Gibson to whom made a run from midfield unopposed, the ball was played into his path from which he made no mistake with the finish.

Chadderton almost then took the lead when Crothers another midfield player to whom was allowed to ghost in unopposed before firing the ball goal bound to see Aaron Ashley producing another top drawer save.

Bacup were certainly second best in the middle of the park at this stage, it was inevitable another change would follow which it did with Luke Podmore being introduced replacing Jamie Higgins.

The next opportunity fell to Davison Banda to whom had got himself high up the pitch combining well with Anthony Hall before finding space to get his shot off from which Michael Smith in the Chadderton goal saved for a Bacup corner which was eventually cleared.

With ninety minutes up on the clock and all square it was another thirty minutes of extra time, in the first period of extra time sustained pressure from Bacup did end with Lloyd Bannister being red carded for the visitors, this was a result of Bacup Borough’s Anthony Hall’s persistence in driving at the full back from which he had done for the previous ninety minutes which the young defender struggled in his defending, this time it was a foul too many when Hall got across his man to be clean through onto goal before being taken out and with this Chadderton being reduced to ten men.

The first period of extra time and still these two sides could not be separated but how this changed late into the second period of extra time when once again Chadderton’s Samuel Gibson found himself up against the Bacup defence, with several Bacup players around him and the ball, Gibson worked hard whilst on the ball trying to find enough space to get his shot off, his persistence did pay off when despite the amount of defenders around him, he still managed to poke the ball through the ruck of players leaving the Bacup keeper unsighted but taking his line off one of the defenders which was enough to send the ball just inside the far side of the obstructed keeper’s post and his side into the second round of this cup competition.

It was no doubt hard on the Bacup Players to whom had worked hard throughout, had they have been more clinical around the penalty area, then the result would have been so different.