Manager Brent Peters gave new signing Harry Turner his debut in the North-West Counties First Division North clash with Cleator Moor.

Kyle Brooks and Tom Hendley came in for the suspended duo of Adrian Bellamy and Darcy O’Connor.


Both sides took their time to get into the game and both had chances to take the lead in the opening exchanges, Boyne heading just over was Borough’s best chance of the first half an hour. The deadlock was broken just after the half hour mark through Cleator Moor’s Full Back Stuart Shaw as his floated cross eluded the young Turner in the Borough goal.

Turner made a number of quality saves to deny the visitors a second goal in the first 45 minutes.

Minutes before half time Anthony Hall came inches close to an equaliser for Bacup after he and his strike partner Boyne linked up brilliantly, resulting in his left footed effort going just over the bar. Leaving the score 0-1.


Whatever boss Peters said at half time needs bottling up, his side came out re-energised and a different animal.

5 minutes into the second half Borough were level through captain for the day Michael Gervin, it was a superb individual goal as he danced around a couple of defenders before hitting a powerful right footed shot past the keeper Rule.

Borough had a second shortly after, Gervin again causing the Cleator Moor defence more trouble as he skipped inside the box and was clipped as he looked for a pass into the feet of a teammate. Anthony Hall stepped up and smashed his left footed spot kick past Rule who dived the wrong way.


On the hour mark the visitors were back on level terms, a square ball across the box was tapped in by Adam Meagan but the linesman on the far side appeared to have his flag up but the referee gave the goal and with half an hour to go the score was 2-2


The scores weren’t level for long as, Michael Gervin came up with another goal of the season contender for his second and Boroughs third of the afternoon. Gervin controlled the bouncing ball just inside the Cleator Moor half before looping his half-volleyed effort up and over the stranded Rule in the Celtic goal. It was a special strike to put Bacup back in front with 20 minutes left on the clock.


Bacup were resolute in defence, getting in the way of anything the visitors through at them. Subsititues Dell and Holding gave them fresh legs up front to chase down any Borough clearances. With minutes left on the watch Borough broke on the counter through Matty Dell, his pace took him beyond the Celtic back line as he advanced past the half way line following a headed clearance from Esdaile, Dell was in one on one with the goalkeeper and as he went to shoot he was clipped by the recovering defender and the referee had no choice other than to point to the spot for the second time In the game. With Anthony Hall being substituted earlier on, the spot kick was taken by Michael Gervin, who stepped up and smashed it right footed into the roof of the net to seal his Hattrick and give Borough all three points.




Bacup Team Vs Cleator Moor Celtic: Turner, Banda, T.Hendley, Esdaile, Simm, Walne, Brooks, Constantine, Gervin ©, Boyne (Dell) , Hall (Holding)


Unused Subs: Marie, Rhodes, Monahan