MATCH REPORT: Chadderton 3-3 BACUP



Chadderton 3 – Bacup Borough -3


Bacup Borough came back away from Chadderton with a well earned point, however it was close to going horribly wrong, this despite taking a first half lead through Anthony Hall.

With Josh Walne and Liam Simm & Ben Rhodes missing through injury & Davison Banda out with work commitments, Manager Brent Peters welcomed back Darcy O’Connor and Reese Welsh into the starting eleven.

In a tight first half it was Bacup that did take the lead, this followed with the Referee playing a good advantage after Nick Alexander  was fouled in midfield, with the player in agony on the floor, the lively Anthony Hall got onto the lose ball before driving forward, the Chadderton keeper did advance towards Hall but he cleverly went around the keeper before slotting the ball  into the empty net, this goal apart nothing really happened for either side leading upto the half time break leaving Bacup with the slender lead.


The second half got underway from which it was not long before Chadderton getting themselves back on level terms, the goal came about when Bacup Borough’s  Michael Gervin conceded a free kick deep into the Chadderton half, the kick was taken long and straight into the Chadderton strikers feet, he then turned, from a situation that seemed well covered the ball was shot across the Bacup keeper into goal, this goal lifted the home sides approach to the game from which they suddenly stepped up the pressure, with this almost taking the lead when a shot from thirty five yards out with the Bacup keeper beaten was saved by the fact the ball struck the underside of the cross bar before Bacup returned the ball to safety, At this point the home side were really turning the screw on Bacup, when the Chadderton player had enough time to twist and turn at the edge of the Bacup penalty area before shaping the ball into the far corner of the net to make it 2-1 to the hosts,, if this was not bad enough for Bacup, it got worse when Reese Welsh came out second best on Bacup Borough’s left before the lad got down the byeline to then make it 3-1 to Chadderton.


It was evident something needed changing in order to kick start Bacup back into this game,, Manager Brent Peters introduced substitute striker Bobby Carter replacing Micah Evans and Midfield player Jimmy Constantine replacing Nicholas Alexander, with this the shape was changed and Bacup went full on in an attempt to get themselves something from the game.


Bacup won a free kick  which Anthony Hall shaped with quality into a crowded penalty area, amongst the melee that followed Bacup’s Darcy O’Connor got the vital touch over the goal line to kick start Bacup’s comeback..

This was the first time in the game that we have witnessed the football we have been accustomed to by Bacup, in the closing minutes of the game it was that player Michael Gervin producing another piece of excellent ability when he picked up the ball in the left channel before pushing the ball through the Chadderton’s Right Full backs legs, advancing into the penalty area where he was brought down right in front of the match official, a penalty was awarded and up stepped Anthony Hall to convert earning his side a fully deserved point.