Bacup Borough Football Club
content top

MATCH REPORT: Longridge Town 5-0 Bacup Borough



By Matthew Lawson

Peters handed a start to Thomas Hendley in the only change from Saturday’s slender defeat to Carlisle City.

Borough started brightly, Anthony Hall and Matty Dell combining well as Dell played a superbly weighted pass into his strike partner Hall who’s pace took him past the Longridge centre half before he entered the box and cut back to his left foot and shot, the Town defence recovered well to block the goal bound effort for a corner.

Michael Gervin then tested Dovey in the Town goal with a venomous strike from distance following a sensation piece of skill from Davison Banda on the left-hand side, Dovey managed to gather the strike at the second attempt.

As the game entered the 30 minute mark Borough were in the acendency and looked the more likely to break the deadlock. Matty Dell again came close for Borough in what was a very well organised Bacup side in this first half as he shot low to the keepers near post.

Despite the lively and determined start from Brent Peters men, It was the hosts that broke the deadlock 5 minutes from half time, following a goal mouth scramble the referee pointed to the spot after adjudging a Borough player of handball. Tom Ince stepped up for Longridge and sent Monahan the wrong way as he cooly slotted it to the keepers right.

Moments later Borough found themselves 2-0 behind, this time in controversial fashion. The ball was won by Walne in his own half and as he advanced down the line he was clearly fouled but the referee waved play on, seconds later a foul from Tom Hendley right in front of manager Peters on the touchline gave Town a free kick. Said free kick was taken 5 yards from the original foul, it was sent deep and Michael Morrison rose highest at the back post to nod home.

Longridge had a third just before half time, from another penalty. The Town attacker stooped low for a header, the Bacup defender went to volley the ball clear but caught the town man’s head at knee height. A carbon copy of the first penalty saw Ince fire past Monahan.

Town had a fourth 10 minutes into the second half as Esdaille turned the ball into his own net whist trying to stop the Longridge player getting to the ball first.

Drama ensued just before the hour mark as the referee showed two red cards for an off the ball incident, one for Town’s Michael Morrison and one for Bacup’s James Constantine for what could only be described as ‘handbags’. A slightly harsh decision for both sides. A talking to and A yellow card a piece would have been suffice in that situation.

Despite being 4-0 down, Borough showed heart and came close to getting a goal back, a quality delivery from a Josh Walne free-kick was met by Adrian Bellamy who headed towards goal, it had the keeper beat but Longridge had men on the line who managed to clear the danger.

With 20 minutes left on the clock, Longridge Town had a fifth, Jay Hart with a header past Monohan.

Borough continued to create chances in the final ten minutes, Gervin and Hall coming close to penetrating the Town goal and ruining their clean sheet. Deep into added time Josh Walne also came close with a thunderous right footed effort from 25 yards, it had the keeper beaten but it cannoned off the upright and away for a goal kick.

It is safe to say that the decions in last night’s game changed the game. As Borough were on the end of a 5-0 defeat on their travels. Their attentions will now turn to Garstang who they face at The Brian Boys WestView Stadium on Saturday.

Bacup Team vs Longridge: Monahan, Banda, Crew (Carter), Esdaille, Bellamy ©, Walne, T. Hendley, Brooks (Constantine), Gervin, Hall, Dell (Marie).
Unused Subs: Holding, Tayo