St Helens 2-Bacup Borough 6


Bacup Borough went on a goal spree in the Acro frame Stadium with goals from Jordan Wilmore, Anthony Hall, Alessandro Ruocco, Kyle Brooks, Matthew Dell, & Joshua Walne, whilst there could have been more goals in favour of the visitors, St Helens themselves could have also added to their goal tally such was how much this game was stretched almost from the off.


Bacup opened the scoring when Midfield player Jordan Wilmore made an off the ball forward run, if ever the saying being in the right place at the right time rang true, it was in this game as Wilmore was in the right place at the right time when the ball found its way to him, Wilmore composed placed the ball into the space at their keepers right, this was what it needed to burst the borough into life, it wasn’t long before their lead was doubled when Anthony Hall from a deep position, well into his own half received the ball and then made a magical penetrating run right through the opposition midfield, driving into their box, whether it was frustration from the Saints defender or just naïve defending, what ever it was the defender sent Hall to the floor leaving the referee with no option at all but to point to the penalty spot.

Anthony Hall got himself up stepping forward before finishing the spot kick and doubling his teams lead.

Constantly during the first half you could hear the Bacup Bench urging the players to play the ball into the space left behind the Saints rear guard, it was little wonder when Josh Walne playing on the right in close hear shot of the bench responded to their instructions with a glorious weighted through ball into the space behind, just the kind of service that Bacup’s Italian striker Alessandro Ruocco thrives on, once he had arched his run ensuring he was on side he opened up with pace to get onto the ball, the Saints keeper closed the angle but the moment their keeper committed, Ruocco slipped the ball under their keeper to score, this was only Alessandro Ruocco’s second start to the season but with two goals in his two starts is beginning to prove what came with his scouting reports the boy  is a naturel finisher.

The three goal lead was short lived as slack play between Davison Banda and Jordan Wilmore left a saints player the chance to intercept before finding their most influential player in space, completely unmarked before slotting the ball past Turner in the Bacup goal.


Was this going to be a nervy few minutes before the break? It could easily have been but when Anthony Hall got onto the ball before finding Michael Gervin who’s powerful shot was pushed away by their keeper but only into the path of the advancing midfield player Kyle Brooks to score his second senior goal of the season, making it St Helens -1-Bacup Borough -4 at the break.


The second half got underway, the weather overhead was not getting any better, the only saving grace the surface was 4G otherwise without doubt this game would have become a victim of the weather,  when Bacup Borough’s Matthew Dell got onto the ball down Bacup’s left, pushing the ball out in front of him before striking the ball with such ferocity which curled away from their keeper into the top corner making it five, I do think at this stage the saints would have given anything for a postponement, being a plastic pitch it was never going to happen, so when Josh Walne on the right flank got onto a similar ball has Matthew Dell, he drove on  before going around a defender, he then committed their keeper before striking to make it six, the game was well and truly over, credit to St Helens despite this they never gave up in what was horrible overhead conditions made easier to handle when you are winning and more difficult when you are loosing, the home side kept going and did manage to pull another goal back making the final score