MATCH REPORT: Whitchurch Alport vs Bacup Borough

Whitchurch Alport 3-0 Bacup Borough

By Matthew Lawson

A slow start proves pivotal as Borough lose 3-0 against inform Whitchurch.

After a performance to be proud of to league leaders Silsden on Tuesday, Peters men faced another tough away trip this time a trip to North Shropshire where Whitchurch Alport were the hosts, a side looking for their 9th win in a row.

Borough started the game slow and could of seen themselves go 1-0 down after 6 minutes if it wasn’t for a goal line clearance from the returning Elliott Collinson.

A loose back pass from Martin Cosgrave gifted the hosts the lead inside 10 minutes, Whitchurch Skipper Si Everall pounced on the back pass and lashed it past Sharples at his near post.

The hosts got a second shortly before the midway point in the half, a corner floated from the left hand side towards the near post was flicked on before being poked past a Borough man on the line at the back post.

The half hour mark saw Whitchurch add their 3rd of the game, Sean Griff, given far to much time was able to set him self at the edge of the box before striking the shot low past an outstretched Nick Sharples who was unable to stop the shot from distance.

The second half began and Borough manager Brent Peters made changes to shape and personnel for the second half and saw an instant impact from his two subs, Jordan Wilmore and Ewan Cooper. The pair added a different dynamic to the game, the Bacup side in the second half was a different animal to the one In the first. The lads showed grit and determination in their efforts to get back into the game.

The first real Bacup chance of the second half came from the head of skipper Adrian Bellamy, it followed some great wing play from Matty Bryan who beat his man and whipped a cross right footed into the head of Bellamy but the contact wasn’t the best and his headed effort went wide.

Within minutes Bacup were on the attack again, Substitute Wilmore with a well time through ball for Matty Bryan who beat the keeper to the ball but was forced wide by Read in the Alport goal, Bryan did superbly well to lift the ball over the keeper but before he could celebrate, the ball was headed off the line by the back tracking Whitchurch centre half.

As the second half went on Bacup piled on the pressure in search of a way back into the game, Wayne Morrison was played in by Matty Bryan but as Morrison hit the shot the ball took a nasty bobble which resulted in the strike going over the bar for a goal kick.

Going into the last 15 minutes the swirling wind was causing havoc for Read in the Alport goal at Yorkings Park, as firstly a cross come shot from Matty Bryan kept him on his toes as he had to re adjust his footing so he could tip the ball over the bar and from the resulting corner, Bryan used the wind to his advantage and dropped the ball right in the 6 yard Box, as the ball dropped it was scrambled clear by the Whitchurch defence.

In the closing stages of the half Matty Bryan had a golden chance to find the back of the net, a cross came in from the right hand side, Bryan met the ball with his head but the wind took all the power out of the header and in the end it was comfortable for the goalkeeper to preserve his clean sheet.

After being caught cold from the off and going 3-0 down, the second half display from Borough was outstanding, a real team effort.

Although the result wasn’t a favourable one, the side can take many a positive from that second half display and with another away trip on Tuesday night at Atherton Bacup will be looking to leave Greater Manchester with all three points.

Bacup Team Sharples, Cosgrave, Bellamy, Tayo, Howe, Stewart ( Cooper) Khasa ( Wilmore) Collinson ( Barlow) Rhodes, Bryan, Morrison.