Bacup Borough over come strong Premier Division opposition to progress in the League Macron Challenge Cup following a last minute injury time equaliser from the opposition which took the tie to penalties.

Charnock Richard were the visitors from one League above Bacup but it was the young guns of Brent Peters side that created the best opportunities in the opening quarter of this game, in the opening eight minutes Bacup won a free kick following a foul on Kyle Siddle, twenty yards out slightly to the left Matthew Bryan got onto the ball from which his shaped effort struck the stantion before going out for a goal kick, minutes later another break forward from Borough saw Matthew Bryan whip a teasing cross which found its way to the far post which Ryan Siddle made a strong attempt to get onto the end of, the slightest of touches and it would have been a goal, another good piece of link up play between Bryan and Ryan Siddle when the Charnock Richard defender got a vital touch to prevent Bacup opening the scoring, Another opportunity did come the home sides way when Joel Gnabouyou got onto the ball between the lines before getting his low shot off from which the Charnock Richard keeper did get down to his right to save, despite all of these efforts and plenty of possession the home side had still not managed to take the lead, these chances missed almost come back to haunt them when Charnock Richard at the opposite end did force a corner from which Bacup keeper Peter Monteith was forced into a save, tipping the ball over, from the resulting corner Peter Monteith was brought into the action again with another excellent save, taking the game into the half time break all square.

Start of the second half for the first time in the game Charnock Richards leading goal scorer and captain Carl Grimshaw had got away from his marker sending a first time effort goal bound but thankfully for Borough the ball bounced back off the upright,  from this it was Bacup that unluckily missed a stunning effort, Joel Gnabouyou found Matthew Bryan who himself produced a first time stunning effort which rattled the bar, following this Gnabouyou got his shot off which their keeper saved for a Bacup corner, it was from this corner that the ball dropped at the far post area where the Bacup Borough Captain Laquan Esdaille was in the right place to fire his shot through a body of players into the net.

Bacup had the opportunity to double their lead had the referee have given what looked like a stone wall penalty when Joel Gnabouyou jinked passed several players before being taken out in the penalty box, however the referee was not having it and the score remained 1-0, the final fifteen minutes saw the visitors throw everything at Bacup in order to get their equaliser, Bacup Borough’s  goal keeper Peter Monteith was brought into action with a stunning reaction save tipping the ball over for a corner which was defended, The official indicated there was five minutes of added time to play, with constant pressure coming from the Premier Division side it was a relief when Bacup themselves could break forward but this time direct into the corner in order to wind the clock further down, it looked like Bacup had weathered their storm in order to see the game through, this until substitute Alex Luby attempted to play the ball off a defenders leg in order to keep possession, but this went sadly wrong has the ball was crossed into an area with only Charnock Richard players, from this they counter attacked the home side, with the ball now deep into the Bacup half, the ball was crossed from the Bacup left from which was met with a player hanging out at the far post area to finish taking the game straight to penalties.

In the penalty shoot out, it was Charnock Richard that won the choice of the first kick which Grimshaw stepped up and smashed the ball into the net, this was their one and only successful penalty has Bacup keeper saved their remaining three penalties whilst his team mates Kyle Brooks, Laquan Esdaille, Ryan Siddle scored putting Bacup Borough through to an away tie with Abbey Hey.