Bacup Borough Football Club
content top

Peters: ‘Extra Time A Bridge Too Far’

In what has been a really intense week at Bacup Borough FC, following the extra time defeat by Formby to relinquish their hold on the League Challenge Cup, Bacup Borough Manager Brent Peters had this to say: “Sometimes the way the fixtures fall and the way the weather is in this climate we are in, can have a seriously detrimental affect in what a club wants to achieve. For instance, this week we go into a really tough cup final at the Reebok against AFC Fylde, then less than seventy two hours later we then have to defend the League Challenge Cup against another very good side in Formby. If this was not tough enough only a couple of weeks ago the League Management overrode their rules of a drawn game going to a replay, this due to the fact most teams are behind with their fixtures due to the weather. So, a drawn game now must go to extra time and penalties. Therefore it was Sod’s law that in our game against Formby it was all square after ninety but in a week of intensity, the extra time was time too far for us. The lads on Monday had really worked tirelessly and this was carried into this game”. Peters added: “I had been given a lot of positive reports about Formby, I was under no illusion of how hard this game would be. Formby had excellent movement, they had pace and they had a scary amount of energy, they had that much I think they should have been tested after the game (lol). In the first half we struggled to get anywhere near them and to be brutally honest during this period we could have had an embarrassing scoreline against us going into the break”. Peters then said: “It was ironic that despite them having some excellent close range chances, it was actually a screamer from just inside our half that separated both sides. I was really pleased to welcome Adam Turner back into the side, he was different class and did really well to win the ball and create the opening for Dave Gray to finish well. So, surprisingly on balance of play, we were level at the break”. Peters then said: “I was glad to get the boys in at the break in order to re organise us in order to combat their threat. It was important we stamped our authority in midfield, this would only happen by getting close and competing. By dropping Lee Oldham back in there alongside Karl Stanley, supported by Dave Gray, the introduction of Martin Cosgrave with his pace up at the top end of the pitch did mean Formby were by no means having their own way in the second half. It was a totally different game. We had stopped their threat so much that all they could do was go long at every opportunity. I thought the boys did really well and worked extremely hard on an extremely difficult heavy pitch which also did not help matters”.

Peters said: “The game ended all square after ninety mins and now we were facing the worst possible scenario of extra time. Five minutes in,Formby’s prolific striker Cary for the first time in the game took advantage of his markers tired mind to put his side into the Semi Final.
I have no complaints as this week has been so intense but the squad in its entirety have really done us all proud, all one can ask is that players do go out and give a good honest performance. This they all did in both games, that is all we can ask, no one let us down, fair enough we did not get the result we wanted, but if someone would have said at the start of the season that we would be in our second cup final in two years and at the Reebok, in addition a cup quarter final, we and so would plenty of other clubs have taken this. It has been an excellent effort from all concerned and whilst it may be defeat, we are all winners with the plaudits and friends we have won by good honest performances”