Ryan Jones Injury Sparks Second Half Collapse


An injury to keeper Ryan Jones two minutes before half-time saw him fail to re-appear after the interval in this match at the XLCR stadium. Instead he was replaced by outfield player Matthew Maine and although he battled gamely between the sticks this proved to be the pivotal moment of the match. Manager Brent Peters made just one change from the side that had beaten AFC Liverpool on Friday night, with Haydn Paul recalled to the starting line-up for the indisposed Adam Dawson. Although the game started evenly, Bacup were having trouble coming to terms with the sharply sloping pitch and narrow playing area which restricted their usual wide game. However they almost took a ninth minute lead when Daniel Cocks cross from the right struck the home crossbar with Thompson beaten. Moments later Jones did well to deny Micky Saunders at the other end. Indeed, the diminutive wide man was to pose problems for Borough all night with his speed on the counter attack. After a spell in which Colne forced four corner, Bacup broke down the left and Cocks cut inside and showed good feet before firing narrowly wide. That was in the 21st minute and six minutes later the home side took the lead, Ben Hoskin beating the offside trap before coolly slotting home past Jones. Cocks was off target from distance four minutes later but Kingsley Williams really should have levelled when he turned his man well but failed to find the target. Four minutes before the break Saunders fired over before Colne before Jones took a ball cleanly low down but injured his shoulder in the process. After leaving the field at half-time he put ice on the injury before heading to hospital. HALF-TIME: Colne 1 Bacup Borough 0

Substitute keeper Matthew Maine was straight into the action and gave the team some confidence when he saved well low down to deny Jason Hart. However, three minutes later a rare mistake from Arron Kirk let in Hart again and this time he made no mistake with his finish. It was Hart who stole in again on 55 minutes to score the third and the game was now running away from Borough. Their task was made even more difficult four minutes later when Paul received his marching orders for a challenge on Michael Morrison that earnt him a straight red. It looked a harsh decision. Graham McKeown came on for Matthew Bryan as Peters shuffled his pack but on 71 minutes Colne were out of sight as Hart completed his hat-trick. McKeown almost pulled one back a minute later but was denied by Thompson. However, playing up the slope with ten men was sapping Bacup’s energy and Tom Fowler added a fifth on 77 minutes. The rout was completed sic minutes later when Mark Coyne again judged his run right to steal in for the sixth. Borough were still in the game before the keeper switch, but that combined with the man sent off ended the game as a spectacle and the main concern was on how serious an injury Ryan Jones had suffered.FULL-TIME: Colne 6 Bacup Borough 0

BACUP BOROUGH: Jones (sub. Maine 45 mins), Birtles, Bryan (sub. McKeown 66 mins), Kirk, Gorman, Nhlizyo, Paul, Kingsley Williams, Limabrooke, Maden, Cocks. Subs Not Used: Nelson, Aoun, Socha. Attendance: 65.

MATCH STATS: SHOTS ON TARGET: Colne 10 Bacup Borough 2  SHOTS OFF TARGET: Colne 3 Bacup Borough 7  CORNERS: Colne 6 Bacup Borough 0

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *