U21 Action: Bacup Vs Moston



Wow. Just wow. The words that Bacup Borough manager Lee Barrett used to describe this scintillating encounter. Just moments earlier in the ninetieth minute, Charlie Howard had cut in from the left riding two tackles and unleashed a twenty five yard thunderbolt past the keepers left hand, into the top corner.
Jubilant scenes followed as Charlie was engulfed by fellow players and the bench as ran past down the touchline. Game over.
It was credit to Moston who had shown great spirit to make the game the spectacle that it was.
The game started well for Bacup who totally bossed events for the first twenty five minutes taking the lead on 15 through Charlie Howard who latched on to a pinpoint through ball from Luke Simpson to advance into the area and slip it under the advancing keeper.
The game changed however on thirty five minutes when Moston were awarded a free kick on the edge of the Bacup area. The wall jumped and the free kick was low and fired into the bottom corner for 1-1.
Moston now had their tails up and Bacup could not clear there heads. The turn of events went full circle as with Bacup now defending, a misplaced Moston pass allowed Will Foster to break away into the opposition half. There is no catching Will in full stride and he got to the Moston box before drilling low and hard into the far corner right on the stroke of half-time for Bacup to go in 2-1 up.
The second half saw a much more even game and Moston drew level on 55 minutes after a long throw into the box was not dealt with and the Moston forward was allowed to turn and hit the ball past the hapless Henry Bunting-Jones in goal.
Bad went to worse on 65 minutes when, in a crowded Bacup area the opposition player went down under a challenge from Will Foster. Contact was minimal but no snipers were spotted and the referee pointed to the spot. The penalty was dispatched leaving Bacup 2-3 down and going out of the cup.
Bacup rallied with Barrett adding more firepower up front causing the game to swing into the home sides favour.
With eight minutes left the Moston rearguard was breached as excellent work from right back Declan Humpheries ended up with a fantastic cross into the box which was headed home by the busy Will Foster for 3-3.
Moston were now hanging on and looked to have done enough for extra time but, well, over to you Charlie Howard.