Bacup Borough Football Club
content top

U21 ACTION: Bacup Vs Ramsbottom


Bacup Borough U21 3 – 3 Ramsbottom U21

Having observed an impeccable two minutes silence to remember our fallen both teams began the game as though they had just emerged from the trenches. Tackles flew in as both teams tried getting a grip on the game in what had began as a scrappy encounter.
Bacup did take the lead on twelve minutes when a fantastic through ball from Ryan Siddle dissected the United defence for Will Foster to race clear, round the out coming keeper before slotting home.
Maybe now the game settle down ? Not likely as Ramsbottom went up the other end and equalised with a deep cross being met by the winger, the lead lasted just five minutes. The game continued to be a feisty affair and the referee’s book was being constantly added to.
Bacup had another breakthrough in the thirtieth minute when the industrious Luke Simpson rode two challenges and sent the ever ready Will Foster clear again who shot early into the far corner. United could not handle the pace of Foster who has been in fantastic form of late.
Once again Bacup could not hold on for long and with five minutes to go to the interval Ramsbottom pressure resulted in a corner. Bacup did not deal with it and the United skipper duly lashed a thunderous shot home from the edge of the area.
So the score was 2-2 at half time.
The second half was no different from the first, scrappy and niggley on what was becoming a heavy pitch. Things then went from bad to worse for Bacup as last weeks hero Charlie Howard became this weeks villain by collecting two ridiculous yellow cards within seconds of each other by arguing with the referee over the position of a United free-kick.
A re-shuffle by Bacup manager Lee Barrett was needed as the home side were rocking. McInnis and Humpheries had been superb all game in the heart of the Borough defence but were undone on seventy minutes as United penetrated again to finally take the lead.
Bacup rallied and began to show real spirit as the game went into the last 10 with Barrett now adopting a back three and pushing two back up front, he had nothing to lose. Time ticked away and United looked like they had done enough but Bacup forced a 90th minute free kick on the corner of the United box. Again Siddle’s delivery was pinpoint and left-back Isaac Custic slid in at the back post to level.
Bacup now pressed for a winner and won a corner in the 93rd minute. The delivery was good and made for a mad scramble but United eventually cleared their lines as the final whistle went.
As Barrett summerised, ‘ both teams played the occasion rather than a game of football. A local derby brought out the ugly side of of the teams which was not helped by a heavy pitch. We need to focus on what we can do and let the referee do his job and not let team mates down by picking up silly red cards.’ However Barrett added ‘ it was good to see both sets of players shake hands afterwards and a draw was a fair result’.
Bacup’s next game is on Friday 17th November away against Stockport County.